Individual and couples counselling for bereaved families is available, on a short-term basis, for families unable to access other available community resources.
Bereavement Support Groups
The death of a child is believed to be the most difficult loss a family can experience. At Roger Neilson House, we provide support to children and families throughout their highly individual experience of grief.
We offer parents and siblings a place to be with others who are also grieving the death of a child and to support one another throughout their healing journey. The bereavement groups are facilitated by members of the Palliative Care team.
Parent Grief Support Group
- This group is for parents who have experienced the death of a child.
- Facilitated by a social worker and a nurse.
- Different themes, such as how to parent other children while grieving, the impact of grief on a marriage or how to survive holidays and special occasions, are raised each week for discussion.
- Group members are encouraged to participate only to the extent they feel comfortable and silence is always accepted.
Meets bi-weekly on Wednesday evenings from 5:00-6:30 pm.
Sibling Grief Support Group
- For school-aged children (4 – 12 years) who have experienced the death of a sibling. This group offers an opportunity for peer support and for the exploration and expression of feelings through creative play, art and talking circles.
Meets bi-weekly (concurrent with the parent support group) on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 – 7:30 pm.
Teen Grief Support
- For teens (12-18 years) who have experienced the death of a sibling. Individual counselling is available for exploration and expression of feelings that are unique to this age group
Perinatal Loss group
- This group is available to parents who have lost a child to stillbirth (over 20 weeks gestation), or live birth, up to the first 28 days of life.
- Parent support group is facilitated by CHEO social workers.
- Different themes such as feelings associated with grief, disenfranchised grief, saying hello and goodbye, and the impact of grief on a marriage are raised each week for discussion.
- The group runs over the course of eight sessions and an intake is complete prior to commencing.
Meets bi-weekly on Thursday afternoons from 3:00-4:30 pm.
S.I.B.S: Spectacular Incredible Brave Siblings
- This group of children aged 6 to 12 years who have lost a sibling. The group meets once a month, Saturday mornings 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.
- Facilitated by Recreation Therapists and trained volunteers, the S.I.B.S. experience activities such as Dr Jeopardy and other therapeutic play.
Palliative Parent Support Group
- In collaboration with OCTC, this group is open to all families involved with the CHEO Palliative Care Team and/or Roger Neilson House
- The group meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month, 11:00-1:00 at Roger Neilson House. Facilitated by two Social Workers.
- The group provides a safe space for parents to share their thoughts, emotions and coping strategies as well as an opportunity to connect and develop relationships with other parents.
For more information on services and registration please contact:
|Madelena Arnone Social Worker (613)523-6300 ext. 607||Carol Chevalier Social Worker (613)523-6300 ext. 622|