This training will provide volunteers with an in-depth understanding of Hospice Palliative Care and their role as volunteers.
At the completion of the training, volunteers will have the opportunity to become Family Support volunteers. As well, after 1 year of residence experience, volunteers who completed the training will have the ability to apply for a volunteer position with the Visiting Home Hospice Program.
The topics covered in the training will include:
– Introduction to hospice palliative care
– Role of volunteer & understanding professional boundaries
– Child development and being an effective play partner
– Pediatric palliative illnesses
– Family dynamics
– Relevant policies & procedures
The training will be delivered through a combination of online modules, in-class teaching and guest speakers. Please note that participants will be required to complete approximately 2-4 hours of online modules prior to each in-class sessions.